Visa/Residence permit

The entry requirements into the Federal Republic of Germany differ according to your nationality. Please enquire as soon as possible, as to whether you need a visa or not.


Nationalities for which a visa is not required

1. As a member of the EU and the EFTA (i.e. Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway and Switzerland),you do not need a visa or a residence permit. However, after enrolling, you must register at the Residents' Registration Office in Mannheim (the "Einwohnermeldeamt"), just as every other student living in Mannheim.

2. As a member of the following countries, you do not need an entrance visa/student visa, but you have to register at the Foreigners' Registration Office ("Ausländerbehörde") and apply for a residency permit ("Aufenthaltserlaubnis") after your arrival in Germany:


  • Andorra
  • Australia
  • Brazil
  • Canada
  • El Salvador
  • Honduras
  • Israel
  • Japan
  • Monaco
  • New Zealand
  • San Marino
  • South Korea
  • USA

Please note: When it comes to visa matters it is your nationality and not the country of your home university  that determines the appropriate procedure.
Example: If you study in a European country and have a residence permit for this country, but your nationality is not mentioned as visa-free country under 2. above, you need to apply for a student visa for Germany before traveling to Germany.
Please contact the German Embassy in your country of origin or the German Embassy  in your country of studies as soon as you recieved your letter of acceptance.


Nationalities for which a visa is required
Students with any other nationality but the ones mentioned above must obtain a visa while still in their home country/the country of their home university. Make sure you enquire about whether or not you need an entrance visa/student visa well in advance. In this case, entrance with a tourist visa is not allowed.

Please make sure you apply for a visa as soon as possible at the responsible German diplomatic agency (embassy/consulate). An entrance or student visa is required for students from these countries in order to be able to enrol. An entrance visa will be converted into a residence permit for study purposes following enrolment. Converting a tourist visa into a residence permit after entry into Germany is not possible.

Incoming Exchange StudentsInternational Degree-Seeking StudentsOutgoing StudentsScholars & StaffContact