Student residences by the Studierendenwerk Mannheim

The International Office provides a limited number of dorm rooms for exchange students from overseas and offers support in finding private rooms. The International Office only intermediates the housing process. The offical landlord of the rooms in residence is “Studierendenwerk Mannheim”.


Student residence halls are the ideal place to get to know not only German students but also fellow students from all over the world!


Furnishing and room types

Depending on the residence hall, you will live with between two and eight people in a shared apartment (Wohngemeinschaft = WG). In a WG everyone has his or her own room but the kitchen, bathroom, and toilet are communal and shared with 2 to 8 other students. The communal areas (kitchen, bathroom, and toilet) are regularly cleaned by the Studierendenwerk Mannheim, but the cleaning of your own room is your responsibility. You must ensure, however, that kitchen, bathroom, and toilet are always kept clean, as communal areas should always be left in a clean condition for your flatmates. Additionally, the International Office offers a very limited number of one bedroom apartments with a small in-room kitchen and personal bathroom.


Other facilities

The kitchens are fully equipped with cooking facilities and a refrigerator. Crockery (dishes, utensils, etc.) is sometimes provided but it depends on the flat (in some flats people share crockery whereas in others people use their own). We would therefore recommend that you bring a set of dishware with you (1 cup, 1 glass, 1 plate, cutlery, etc). If you need to, you can always buy whatever is missing quite cheaply in Mannheim. Toilet paper and cleaning materials are not provided and must be bought by the residents. Washing and drying facilities for your clothes are available in all residence halls. The machines work with the ecUM card (student ID).


Furnishings of rooms
All rooms have a bed (as well as bed linens, blanket and pillow), a cupboard, a desk, a swivel chair, a bookcase, a rolling cabinet, a towel rail, a wash basin, a wall mirror, a TV connection, a telephone connection, and internet connection. In a double room there are two beds, two chairs, two desks, two swivel chairs, two cupboards, two bookcases, two rolling cabinets, two visitors’ chairs and two internet connections.


Application for a room in a dormitory

Exchange students from overseas coming to Mannheim can book a room in a dormitory. After your admission, you will receive a link to our portal myUniMA where you can book a room as long as there are vacancies. Please read through all provided information carefully before you book a room. After registration and booking, please print the confirmation, sign it and send it back to the International Office. At the same time, please transfer the deposit and the first month's rent. Please note that your booking with myUniMA is binding! A cancellation is only possible in exceptional cases and upon permission by the International Office. 


Housing on the private market

Here you will find websites with private offers so you can get an overview of accommodation on the private market (unfortunately, some of them are only available in German): (under the category "Vermietungen")

You will find more information on housing in our portal myUniMa and we will send the  link to you at the end of May/November, respectively.



Incoming Exchange StudentsInternational Degree-Seeking StudentsOutgoing StudentsScholars & StaffContact